Friday, February 02, 2007

1985-1997

The week that was. So different. But was still calm despite of everything.
I was reminiscing on my childhood and my younger days. There were so many things that happened and changed over the years. Good things. Bad things. There were some people who were in my life at one point but after a while everything changed...gradually.
  1. When I was young (about 7 to 8 years), I liked to play with those small black beetles. These creatures visit my house quite often. So how did I play with them? First, I'd arrange them in a row and have a small race on my own, see who's the fastest to reach the final point. Secondly, I liked to throw the small beetle into the air. You know when you throw them then they will fly and not fall down. It's like as if I had some sort of magic powers, I could make the beetle fly when I threw it up into the air.hehe..But of course this doesn't include the sick beetles. You'd throw them and they still ended up falling down to the ground.ouch..
  2. I used to go to my Indian neighbour's house to play masak-masak. The irony is, she was my enemy. I didn't like her, and most probably she didn't like me too. She used to bully a Chinese girl in front of her house. But, I guess the word 'enemy' didn't really mean much to me. As long as I could enjoy myself then it's enough.
  3. The furthest I can remember doing (when I was about 2-3 years old) was playing ball catching with my brother, Mike(15-16years old). This is the only thing I can remember when I was that age. I can't remember anything else before 3 years old.
  4. When I was 11-12 years old I used to go to my another neighbour's house to play badminton(yes,you shutzeyuh, if you still remember..hehe) with another boy by the name of Johan Arif. I can't remember who else played. But I remember that Johan's smashes were super strong.
  5. I used to play a lot with a girl who lived(and still is living) a few houses away from mine. We used to be so close at that time. We played masak-masak and other silly games. But things started to change when we went to secondary school. She had her new group of friends(and I had mine).
  6. Last time I had a Malay girl friend. Her name is Diana. I used to go to her house just a few blocks away from my house. One day, Diana, another girl Baiduri and I were playing something, some English game thingy. Baiduri was supposed to pronounce 'Banana' but she said 'Babana' instead. All of us couldn't stop laughing. I don't know why I remember this till today. And I remember how I, Diana and some other friends used to go to the town library once in a while to borrow books to read or even played chess in the library itself.
  7. During standard 5/6, I was quite close to a girl named Farhana. She was quite weak in Maths and I remember helping her quite a number of times. But she was a very friendly and humble person. Wonder where she is now.
  8. Me and my primary school friends(standard5/6) had our first knowledge on what 'puppy love' is when a boy by the name of Koh Tian Ford had a crush on our friend named Soon. I remember all the giggles and gossips from all of my girl friends.hehe..
  9. When I was in kindergarten(6 years old), we used to play 'The Hungry Bad Wolf' during our recess time. One person will lean onto the wall with his back facing us. We will then ask him' What time is it Mr. Wolf?' and he will answer back, 'it's 6 o' clock'. We keep on asking the same question. If he answers 'it's dinner time', he will start to chase everyone and try to catch someone.
  10. I remember in standard 2, me and all of my classmates(Rumah Merah) had to dance using coconut shells. It's more of a syncronized movement rather than a dance. I remember the teacher used Kitaro's instumental piece as the background music.So funny.The whole class performed during sports day and I think we really enjoyed it lot. It was my first time perfoming in front of a big audience.
Coming back to the year 2007. I think I have forgotten what is it like to have a Malay girl or a guy as a close friend or having Malay friends for that matter. My primary and secondary school (not including Form 6) have taught me how to mix with Malays, Indians and Chinese. But since going to Form 6 I have lost touch with the Malays, and at university, I have lost touch with both the Malays and the Indians. I really miss mixing with them and doing things together and this is truly a sad thing....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aladdin, you make me think back into my childhood lar. haha! the badminton gang was me, u, johan, suraya, zanne, and willy. I can still remember their full name ler. Ford that could run fast, and soon ming ning. those were the days :)

Nalika said...

It will be very nice of u if u can show me the dance....kekeke....

(kidding)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails